* All information is provided by CQA.
* All information is correct at the time of publication. UniKL reserves the right to make changes to the programmes offered and its content without prior notice. Programmes will be offered subject to MQA approval.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering Technology (Polymer)
Diploma Teknologi Kejuruteraan Kimia (Polimer)
Polymer technology can be described in brief as the manufacture, processing, analysis and application of long chain molecules. Materials that are typically classified as polymers include: plastics, paints, rubber, foams, adhesives, sealants, varnishes etc. Our daily life today is fully controlled by these materials that it is impossible to imagine life without these products. Industries that are totally dependent on polymers include information technology, aerospace, music, clothing, medical, motor manufacturing, building, packaging and many more.
The objective of the programme at UniKL MICET is to provide students with training in polymer technology at a semi-professional level. The programme covers the principles and operating of machines, characterization, instrumentation, fabrication processes and the compounding of polymeric materials. The course prepares students for a career in the polymer and related industries or, if already employed in the industry, to improve their effectiveness and career prospects. The course focuses on full integration of the theory and practice of polymer engineering which helps to develop experience and understanding of the practical aspects of polymer engineering essential for those with technological careers. The programme is designed to meet the educational needs of the graduates and professional students in order to provide lifelong learning opportunities in the study of polymeric materials; to assisting Malaysian industry in developing polymer technology and to develop knowledge based on polymeric materials and to disseminate this knowledge on a global basis. UniKL MICET provides the students with a multifaceted programme that bridges traditional academic disciplines. Our students will have outstanding educational and practical experiences tailored to individual needs and responsive to the ever-changing technological and scientific needs of society.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
UniKL graduates who are :
- PEO 1
Knowledgeable, competent, and innovative;
- PEO 2
effective leaders with teamworks, skills as well as verbal and non-verbal interpersonal communications skill;
- PEO 3
committed towards the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvements;
- PEO 4
professional, ethical, and socially responsible; and
- PEO 5
capable of embarking on businessand technopreneurial activities.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Majors in chemical engineering will be able to:
- PLO 1
Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science and chemical engineering technology fundamentals and specialization principles to well defined practical procedures and practices
- PLO 2
Conduct investigations of well defined problems
- PLO 3
Apply and utilise appropriate techniques, resources and engineering tools to well defined engineering activities, with an awareness of their limitations
- PLO 4
Analyse well defined chemical engineering technology problems and area of specialization
- PLO 5
Formulate solutions to well defined technical problems
- PLO 6
Assist in the formulation of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs
- PLO 7
Communicate effectively with the engineering community and society at large
- PLO 8
Demonstrate an awareness of and consideration for societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and their consequent responsibilities
- PLO 9
Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of engineering practices, taking into account the need for sustainable development
- PLO 10
Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse technical teams
- PLO 11
Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics, responsibilities and norms of chemical engineering technology practices
- PLO 12
Recognize the requirements for the need of professional development and to engage in independent and lifelong learning
- PLO 13
Demonstrate an awareness of management, business practices and entrepreneurial competencies
The skilled graduates can seek career in the upstream and downstream polymer industries such as the polymerization plants, petrochemical industries (Petronas) plastic industries, rubber industries, latex industries, composite industries, automotive industries, electronic industries, medical industries, pharmaceutical industries, aerospace industries, paint industries, textile industries etc. Graduates also had wide career advancement in area of design, consultation, R & D, education as well in research institutes such as RRI, SIRIM and MINT.
Some of the companies accepting Polymer Engineering Graduates are:
- Ansell Sdn. Bhd.
- Synthomer Sdn. Bhd,
- Bayer Material Science, Leverkusen, Germany
- Texchem (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Toray Plastics (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Drawbridge Technologies (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Silverstone Berhad
- M-Pol Rubber Products Sdn. Bhd.
- Teleflex Medical Sdn. Bhd.
- Guppy Plastics Industries Sdn. Bhd
- Titan Chemicals Corp. Berhad
- Synthomer Sdn. Bhd.
- SIRIM Berhad
- Intel Technology Sdn. Bhd.
- Motorola Sdn. Bhd.
- Western Digital (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Texas Instruments (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Infineon Technologies (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- Sin Rubtech
- Gummi Metall Technik (M) Sdn. Bhd
- Kossan Rubber Industries Berhad
- Unisem Sdn. Bhd.
- Rubber Research Institute Malaysia (RRIM)
- Continental Tyre Malaysia
- Technical Mathematics I
- General Chemistry
- Engineering Graphic
- Foundation English
- Co-Curriculum I
- Islamic/Moral Studies
- Mandarin I
- Technical Mathematics II
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Principle of Chemical Process
- Fluid Mechanics
- Communication English I
- Co-Curriculum II
- Malaysian Studies
- Bahasa Kebangsaan (A)
- Mandarin II
- Occupational Safety & Health
- Electrical Technology
- Process Instrumentation
- Transport Process
- Basic Engineering Workshop
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Communication English II
- Technical Mathematics III
- Introduction to Polymer Science & Technology
- Rubber Processing
- Plastic Processing
- Reactor Technology
- Separation Technology
- Composite Technology
- Materials and Product Testing
- Latex Science and Technology
- Final Year Project
- Industrial Training
- Entry Requirement:
- Pass SPM or equivalent with at least a credit in three subjects, including Mathematics and science or technical based subjects;OR
- Accredited Certificate in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Technical or Malaysian Skills Certificate Level 3
- Technical Certificate refers to certificates in an engineering field without ‘engineering’ in the programme’s name
- Malaysian Skills Certificate Level 3 programmes are accredited by the Skills Development Division (SDD) under the Ministry of Human Resource. These programmes are at Level 3 in the Malaysian Qualifications Framework
- Pass in SPM or equivalent with at least THREE (3) credits in the following subjects: Mathematics and ONE (1) subject related to Science / Technical / Vocational, and ONE (1) other subject; AND at least a pass in English; OR
- Pass in O-Level or equivalent with at least THREE (3) credits in the following subjects: Mathematics and ONE (1) subject related to Science / Technical / Vocational, and ONE (1) other subject; AND at least a pass in English; OR
- Pass in Engineering/Engineering Technology Certificate (Level 3, KKM); AND
- For international students, minimum English language requirements are IELTS 4.0/CEFR A2 or equivalent TOEFL PBT (397) or TOEFL IBT (30-31) or CAE (160) (Cambridge English: Advance)/CEFR B2 or CPE (180) (Cambridge English: Proficiency) / CEFR C1 or PTE (Pearson Test of English) (30) or MUET (Malaysian University English Test) (Band 2)
Students who enroll with qualification from institutions that fully use English as the language of instruction or from English speaking countries are EXCLUDED from the requirements of competence in English language as stated above
Click for more detail
JPT/BPP (R2/524/6/0036) 10/24, MQA A10855
Food Technology, Chemical, Bio-engineering, Polymer & Environmental
January & July Only
For further enquiries, please contact us at:
MARKETING, STUDENT RECRUITMENT & ADMISSION DIVISION (MeSRA)
Universiti Kuala Lumpur
Level 3, 1016, Jalan Sultan Ismail, 50250 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 – 2175 4422 / 4031 / 5408
Mobile: +6011-56938263 or +6011-59656805
Fax: +603 – 2175 4446
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
1016, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
+603 - 2175 4000
+603 - 2175 4001
CONNECT WITH #UniKL