* All information is provided by CQA.
* All information is correct at the time of publication. UniKL reserves the right to make changes to the programmes offered and its content without prior notice. Programmes will be offered subject to MQA approval.
Diploma in Medical Assistant
Diploma Pembantu Perubatan
Diploma in Medical Assistant is an undergraduate programme that aims to provide students with the knowledge, skills and attitude to enable them to practice as a Medical Assistant or Assistant Medical Officer. The teaching-learning activity is geared into substantially describing and discovering how the different human system work, e.g. cardiovascular, respiratory etc., relating cellular and molecular to whole-body aspects of both normal and diseased states. Upon graduating the programme, the graduates would be able to understand, diagnose, treat simple ailment, caring and curing in wellness and disease.
This professional programme provides you with a wide carrier pathway into a medical profession in the Malaysian healthcare sector as an Assistant Medical Officer. You will be introduced to medical science subjects and clinical placement in government hospital and health clinic. A bright future awaits graduates in both public and private hospitals or other healthcare organizations in Malaysia.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO 1
To produce graduates who are knowledgeable, competent, technically-skilled and competitive in medical and health science at national and international levels.
- PEO 2
To produce graduates who are able to contribute effectively in the community.
- PEO 3
To produce graduates who practice professionalism with ethics and social responsibilities.
- PEO 4
To produce graduates with ICT and entrepreneurial capabilities.
- PEO 5
To produce graduates who are committed to lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Majors in medical assistant will be able to:
- PLO 1
- Conduct a holistic, safe, competent and comprehensive care intervention according to patient safety requirements and regulations.
- Apply knowledge and skills to ensure safety and health in workplaces and community.
- Plan and recommend preventive and corrective measures in patient and staff safety and health.
- PLO 2
Comply with the legal, ethical principles and professional code of conduct of the medical assistant.
- PLO 3
Demonstrate sensitivity, respect and responsibility towards religion, community, culture and environment.
- PLO 4
- Identify health problems and needs at individual, group and community based on relevant epidemiological, environmental, behavioural and socio-cultural perspectives.
- Develop plan care of intervention, patient education, promotion, prevention and rehabilitation incorporating critical and lateral thinking to prevent undue health problems.
- Demonstrate appropriate assessment techniques and interpret findings.
- Formulate, prescribe, monitor and re-evaluate patient assessment and treatment plans throughout the course of treatment.
- Recognise emergency events, complications and refer appropriately.
- PLO 5
- Communicate, collaborate and disseminate information effectively with peers, other healthcare professionals, scholarly community, stakeholders and the society at large
- Present information or findings coherently either in verbal or written forms with patients, their family and care provider.
- PLO 6
- Inculcate evidence-based scientific principles in discussing ideas of improvement in patient care, safety and health.
- Participate in research activities related to medical and health sciences and present the information and findings coherently.
- Recognise health care problems to assist in providing solutions.
- Implement policies, regulations and guidelines and make recommendations for improvement where necessary.
- PLO 7
Apply skills and principles of lifelong learning in academic and career development.
- PLO 8
- Describe, interpret, demonstrate and apply technical and scientific knowledge and skills in enhancing patient care, prompt and accurate documentation.
- Demonstrate problem solving, critical thinking and clinical reasoning skills
- Perform extended and expanded role, validate and refer findings competently.
- Provide progressive, innovative and creative ideas and strategies to address challenges and concerns within the profession.
- PLO 9
- Assist in advance medical and health care procedures
- Continuous updating of latest technical competencies
- PLO 10
Coordinate and manage health care activities effectively with managerial and entrepreneurship skills.
- PLO 11
- Conduct, evaluate and implement health promotion programmes and activities related to medical and health sciences.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with other healthcare professionals and the community on medical and health care in sustaining optimum health.
- PLO 12
Counsel patients in a caring, emphatic and culturally-sensitive manner.
- PLO 13
- Demonstrate capacity building through excellent leadership and teamwork
- Plan, manage and execute quality management system and Best Practices
- PLO 14
- Identify technical errors, perform troubleshooting and execute problem solving protocols
- Incorporate problem-solving principles and evidence-based practice in decision making of patient/client management.
Graduates of this diploma may find employment as:
- Government servant in hospital, health clinic, prison, detention centers (Pusat Serenti), PLKN or folks home.
- Private sector such as offshore oil rigs (eg: Petronas/ Shell), estate plantation (eg: Guthrie)
- Private specialist hospital
- Tutors in MA Training colleges
- Tutors in any health related education programmes.
Graduates will also be able to pursue further studies in Health Studies, Health Education and any health related fields.
- Anatomy & Physiology 1
- Mircrobiology & Parasitology
- Islamic Practice in Malaysia
- Malaysian Studies 2
- Behavioral Science
- Professional Development
- Competency English
- Introduction to Techno-Entrepreneurship
- Anatomy & Physiology 2
- Medical 1
- Surgical 1
- Community Health 1
- Nursing Science 1
- Clinical Pharmacology 1
- Communication English 1
- Mandarin 1
- Medical 2
- Surgical 2
- Emergency Medicine 1
- Community Health 2
- Nursing Science 2
- Pharmacology 2
- Mandarin 2
- Emergency Medicine 2
- Community Preventive Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Research Methodology
- Communication English 2
- Co-curriculum (Community Service)
- Clinical Emergency Department 1
- Clinical Orthopedic
- Clinical Ophthalmology
- Clinical ENT
- Clinical Psychiatric
- Labour Room
- Emergency Department 2
- Community Health 1
- Community Health 2
- Operation Theater
JPT/BPP (R/722/4/0008) 01/24, MQA/FA
MARKETING, STUDENT RECRUITMENT & ADMISSION DIVISION (MeSRA)
Universiti Kuala Lumpur
Level 3, 1016, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 - 2175 4422 / 4031 / 5408
Mobile: +6011 - 596 56805
Fax: +603 - 2175 4446
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
1016, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
+603 - 2175 4000
+603 - 2175 4001
CONNECT WITH #UniKL