* All information is correct at the time of publication. UniKL reserves the right to make changes to the programmes offered and its content without prior notice. Programmes will be offered subject to MQA approval.
A global priority for the 21st century must be to tackle CO2 emissions from fossil fuels, replacing them with sources of energy that are cleaner, sustainable, and renewable. With the expected global growth in the renewable energy sector, there will be a crucial need for qualified and skilled engineers with specialist knowledge of the relevant technology. Our bachelor’s degree program of Electrical Engineering Technology (Sustainable Energy) is designed to focuses on viable sustainable and renewable sources of energy conversion based on systems using solar, wind and other RE technologies. The course gives graduates broad experience in the basic fields of electrical engineering with an emphasis on the use, development, management, and architecture of renewable sources of energy.
The curriculum focuses on acquiring knowledge and skills related to technical engineering and incorporates good practical problem solving, coordination and project planning aspects, along with a robust theoretical foundation. As a result, learners can develop good strategic abilities and be able to lead diverse projects alongside various technological and transferable skills.
This course aims to provide well-trained graduates with the skills and knowledge to work towards addressing these issues. Using a mix of classroom and specialist laboratory facilities, this course will give students a strong grounding in science and engineering theory, with an emphasis on renewable power generation methods, environmental impact, and the efficient use of energy in engineering and technology.
Prior to graduation, Students will undergo a 24-week industrial training attachment at a real workplace. All these wide range of subjects are designed to advance both technical knowledge and soft skills in communications, management, technopreneurship and professional practice.
The strengths of this bachelor’s programme are:
- Fully accreditation and approval by relevant authorities.
- Recognized by Sustainable Energy Development Authority Malaysia (SEDA) and Suruhanjaya Tenaga (ST).
- Hands-on approach with high percentage of practical work to support fundamental knowledge.
- Teaching-and-learning approach is both conventional and interactive.
- Academic staff with industrial experience and members of professional bodies.
- Exposure to various leading-edge technologies in the areas of control and instrumentations, power and energy, industrial automation, etc.
- Versatile programme where students may pursue study at masters and PhD levels in many different engineering fields.
- Options to add values with Professional Certifications.
First university in Malaysia to get recognition by Sustainable Energy Development Authority (SEDA) and Suruhanjaya Tenaga (ST) for undergrade bachelor’s degree program. Two (2) Professional Certificate embedded in the program:
- Grid Connected PV Design (GCPV) certificate by SEDA.
Students will study solar related courses and will have to pass written and practical tests as required by SEDA. Certificate will be given after the student graduates and meets the conditions set by SEDA.
- Registered Electrical Energy Manager (REEM) by ST.
Students must take the subjects required by the ST and get the minimum of the prescribed grades. Practical training should be done in a company recognized by ST to complete the requirements.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO 1
UniKL graduates who are knowledgeable, competent, and innovative, which will contribute towards the requirement of human capital in Engineering Technology field.
- PEO 2
UniKL graduates who are effective leaders with teamwork skills, as well as verbal and non-verbal interpersonal communication skills to support their role in industry.
- PEO 3
UniKL graduates who are committed towards the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement.
- PEO 4
UniKL graduates who are professional, ethical, and socially responsible.
- PEO 5
UniKL graduates who are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Majors in engineering will be able to:
- PLO 1
Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and electrical engineering technology to defined and applied engineering procedures, processes, systems or methodologies.
- PLO 2
Identify, formulate, research literature and solve systematically broadly defined electrical engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using analytical tools appropriate to electrical engineering discipline. (C)
- PLO 3
Design solutions for broadly defined electrical engineering technology problem and contribute to the design of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, environmental and sustainability. (P)
- PLO 4
Plan and conduct experimental investigations of broadly defined electrical technology engineering problems using data from relevant sources. (P)
- PLO 5
Select and apply appropriate techniques, resources and modern engineering tools, with an understanding of the limitations. (P)
- PLO 6
Function effectively as an individual and as a member or leader in diverse technical teams. (A)
- PLO 7
Communicate effectively with the engineering community and with society at large. (A)
- PLO 8
Demonstrate awareness and consideration for societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practice. (C)
- PLO 9
Demonstrate an understanding of professional ethics, responsibilities, and norms of engineering technology practice. (A)
- PLO 10
Demonstrate the understanding of the impact of engineering practices, taking into account the need for sustainable development. (C)
- PLO 11
Demonstrate an understanding of management, business practices and entrepreneurship. (C)
- PLO 12
Recognize the need for professional development and engage in independent and lifelong learning. (A)
Demand for renewable energy is on the rise all over the world as concern for the global climate and sustainability grows. Renewable energy requires the skill of people across disciplines to succeed. It requires engineers to innovate and design the technology. In these industries, graduates may join the workforces in product development, testing, quality control, installation, sales, distribution, field service, maintenance, and research.
Those interested in teaching or research may continue their studies in Master of Engineering Technology or Master of Engineering, and PhD. Upon completion, BEET Sustainable Energy Degree holders may register as an Engineering Technologist and join the industrial workforce in many sectors such as:
- RE Designer Engineer
- RE System Integrator
- Solar Fabricators Engineer
- Energy Manager
- Environment Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Engineering product trading (Suppliers, Vendors, Marketing executive, Product engineer)
- Research and development (Design technologist, product developer)
- Education (Lecturer, technician, academic executive)
- Fundamental English
- Professional English 1
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Tamadun Islam & Tamadun Asia (TITAS)
- Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2
- Electrical and Electronics Workshop
- Engineering Mechanics
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Introduction to Electronics
- Industrial Instrumentation
- Introduction to Electric Circuits
- Introduction to Digital Electronics
- Hubungan Etnik / Pengajian Malaysia 3
- Engineering Mathematics 3
- Computational Engineering for RE System
- Electrical Circuit Theorems
- Programming for Engineers
- Sustainable Energy
- Essential Management Principles
- Foreign Language 1
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Network Analysis
- Internet of Things and System Integration
- Power Electronics
- Energy Efficiency
- Industrial Safety and Health
- Foreign Language 2
- Professional English 2
- Power System
- Isu-isu Kontemporari Muslim di Malaysia / Culture & Lifestyle in Malaysia
- Final Year Project 1
- Power Quality
- Energy Management
- Programmable Logic Controller and Application
- Industrial Photovoltaic
- Electrical Machines and Drives
- Elective 1
- Final Year Project 2
- Innovation Management
- Elective 2
- Elective 3
- Power Quality
- Elective 3
- Innovation Management
- Engineering Final Year Project 2
JPT/BPP (N/522/6/0082), MQA/ PA14237
Electricity and Energy
January & September Only
For further enquiries, please contact us at:
MARKETING, STUDENT RECRUITMENT & ADMISSION DIVISION (MeSRA)
Universiti Kuala Lumpur
1016 Jalan Sultan Ismail 50250 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 – 2175 4422 / 4031 / 5408
Mobile: +6011-56938263 or +6011-59656805
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
1016, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
+603 - 2175 4000
+603 - 2175 4001
CONNECT WITH #UniKL