* All information is provided by CQA.
* All information is correct at the time of publication. UniKL reserves the right to make changes to the programmes offered and its content without prior notice. Programmes will be offered subject to MQA approval.
Master of Science (Water and Hydropower Engineering)
Sarjana Sains (Kejuruteraan Air dan Kuasa Hidro)
For more than a century, hydropower developments around the world have been growing and greening the world’s electricity supplies by generating clean, reliable and cost-effective power from rivers. This study programme meets the growing demand for qualified professionals in the field of hydropower and aims at providing participants with profound branch-related technical as well as interdisciplinary know-how at the interface of sustainability, ecology and environmental protection.
Students shall comprehend the total scope of knowledge required by the hydropower industry and thus learn to conceive water power as a complete and comprehensive system. For this purpose, the three main fields of science – mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and civil engineering have been joined in one programme providing knowledge according to the state-of-the-art.
The program Master of Science (Water and Hydropower Engineering / Hydraulic Engineering and River Basin Development is double degree program offered by Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) and the Delft Institute for Water Education (IHE Delft). Students who have successfully completed this programme will be awarded the Master of Science Degree in (Water and Hydro-power Engineering) by UniKL and also the Master of Science Degree in Water Science and Engineering with specialisation in Hydraulic Engineering and River Basin Development by IHE Delft.
The MSc (Water and Hydropower Engineering) programme offer students the possibility to study in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and in Delft, Netherlands, at two renowned Institutes for technical education and applied research: UniKL and IHE Delft.
The Double Degree of MSc in (Water and Hydropower Engineering) / Hydraulic Engineering and River Basin Development pro-gramme is one of the few programmes worldwide that addresses the need for Master level professionals with comprehensive and well-grounded knowledge in the field of hydropower.
Graduates of this study programme are able to plan hydropower plants as well as to assess existing ones. They are competent contact persons for all aspects of hydropower and provide the necessary expertise for inspection or maintenance work, development and application tasks as well as to specify their necessity. As such, the programme is also attractive to professionals from both the government sector and the hydropower industry, particularly from developing and transitional countries.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO):
In order to achieve the programme aims stated above, the students of this master programme can expect to:
- PEO 1
Apply in-depth water science and engineering knowledge, competent and innovative in their professional works.
- PEO 2
Manage and communicate effectively in leading and engaging multidisciplinary teams in solving global water science and engineering problems at national and international level.
- PEO 3
Continue to advance their knowledge and skill in water science and engineering knowledge for lifelong learning and possess the ability to communicate effectively for scholarly contributions in enhancing technical knowledge.
- PEO 4
Demonstrate ethical responsibilities including social issues, safety and environmental awareness and continuously engage in personal and professional growth.
- PEO 5
Explore and/or embark on business and technopreneurial in the field of water science and engineering and promote sustainable economic development to meet the global demands and dynamics.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs):
At the time of graduation, graduates should have the ability to :
- PLO 1
Demonstrate continuing and advanced knowledge in water science and hydropower system, and have the capabilities to further develop or use these in new situations or multi-disciplinary contexts.
- PLO 2
Analyse and evaluate problems critically related to water science and hydropower system, and to provide solutions through the application of appropriate tools and techniques.
- PLO 3
Appraise available information and research evidence and apply it in the application of water science and hydropower system context.
- PLO 4
Plan and perform research in water science and hydropower system undertakings professionally, ethically and responsibly.
- PLO 5
Function effectively as an individual, as well as member or leader in diverse technical teams by being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations and give and receive clear instructions.
- PLO 6
Demonstrate an awareness and understanding for an international operating working environment in water science and hydropower system with technopreneurs competencies.
- PLO 7
Engage in independent and lifelong learning through the effective use of available facilities and activities.
- Module 1: Introduction to Water Science and Engineering
- Module 2: Hydrology and Hydraulics
- Module 3: River Basin Hydraulics, Geotechnics and Remote Sensing
- Module 4: River Morphodynamics
- Module 5: Data Collection, Analysis and Design
- Module 6: River Basin Development and Environ-mental Impact Assessment
- Module 7: River Structures
- Module 8: Dams and Hydropower
- Module 9: Fieldtrip and Hydropower Potential Assessment
- Module 10: Environmental Flow Assessment
- Module 11: Hydropower Machines Operations and Maintenance
- Module 12: Hydropower Electrical Systems
- Module 13: Research Methodology (Thesis Pro-posal)
- Module 14: Field Assignment and Group Work
- Module 15: Project Management and Entrepreneurship
- Module 16 : Master Thesis
Malaysian Students: RM75,000.00
International Students: RM115,785.00
- Bachelor in Engineering (Honours) / Bachelor in Engineering Technology from Universiti Kuala Lumpur with minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent; or
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in related field with CGPA of 2.50 from any universities as approved by Senate, Universiti Kuala Lumpur; or
- Bachelor degree in related sciences or technical field with CGPA below than 2.50 is acceptable for admission subject to a minimum of 5 years relevance working experience as approved by Senate, Universiti Kuala Lumpur.
English Language Requirement
- The medium of instruction for this program is English.
- The candidates must demonstrate good command of the English language, if this is not the first language where the minimum requirement is set at The Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) for Languages level B2.
- Candidates must hold internationally‐recognised English language certificates (e.g. International English Language Test System (IELTS) or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)), or equivalent.
- The achievement of English proficiency level is as follows:
- TOEFL: Paper based test (PBT): 502 overall, plus Test Written English (TWE) 4.5; or
- TOEFL: Internet based test iBT: 87 overall; or
- IELTS: Band 6.0 overall. Band 6.5 is preferred.
- MARA Graduate Excellence Programme (GrEP), open to eligible FULL TIME student pursuing of Master of Science (Water and Hydropower Engineering).
- Bachelor Degree in related field with minimum CGPA of 3.50 or above.
- IELTS: 6.5 overall
- Age of candidate must not more than 35 years old.
Postgraduate Marketing Office,
Marketing, Student Recruitment & Admission (MeSRA)
Student Development & Campus Lifestyle
Universiti Kuala Lumpur, Level 3, 1016 Jalan Sultan Ismail
50250 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
GL: 603-2175 4000
Fax: 603-2175 4446
- You need to apply via online for this program first (Master of Science (Water & Hydropower Engineering)
- Get an conditional offer letter from UniKL & IHE Delft
- Sit for IELTS test and get min band of 6.5
- Then you are eligible to apply the MARA loan
IPS / UniKL MFI
JPT/BPP (N/522/7/0082) 09/22, MQA/PA8831
Water and Hydropower Engineering / Hydraulic Engineering and River Basin Development
Master (Coursework / Taught Course)
September (But the applicants document must be completed before 1st August of the year) This is for Visa process at Netherland.
Full Time : 2 – 3 years
Minimum length of study will be 4 semester and a maximum of 8 semester
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
1016, Jalan Sultan Ismail,
50250 Kuala Lumpur
+603 - 2175 4000
+603 - 2175 4001
CONNECT WITH #UniKL